Serbian Deputy Prime Minister Miroljub Labus said at a forum entitled “What is the Serbian government’s European strategy”, that the Serbian government is supporting an October 5 start to negotiations with EU representatives on the stabilisation and association agreement, the first formal step to EU accession.
Author:
Tanjug
At the forum, organised by the Belgrade weekly Vreme and the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, Labus explained that for the time being it is not known whether the negotiations will begin on October 5 or by the end of November.
“We are seeking to begin negotiations on October 5 because this date has a great symbolic meaning for democratic forces in Serbia”, the Deputy Prime Minister said.
Labus reiterated that, having recently adopted the National Strategy for EU association, the Serbian government has taken upon itself the political obligation to make European integration a top priority of Serbia-Montenegro.
According to him, current activities in the EU concerning the failed referendum on the EU constitution in other countries are not as dramatic as is being played out in the media and have no effect on Serbia-Montenegrin accession. Labus pointed out that, after the latest developments in Brussels, the supervision of the implementation of the strategy and legal procedures will be more vigorous than it has been so far.