Following a visit to the sports centre, Dinkic said at a press conference that the reconstruction of the swimming pool and the neighbouring facilities, anticipated to begin March 1, 2006, will cost about €1 million, and that in addition to the Serbian government, Belgrade’s city hall will provide considerable financial support.
He said that water polo, as an unprofitable sport, requires the state’s support, and that the Serbia-Montenegrin water polo players’ results at the greatest international competitions also oblige that the development of this sport is systematically supported.
The Minister of Finance pointed out that the Serbian government plans to increase funding for sports next year and recalled that the funds this year are three times larger than those of last year. Dinkic noted that the funds this year amounted to 1.5 billion dinars, but that the largest part was spent on the organisational rights of the “Univerzijada” student games, which Serbia-Montenegro will host in 2009.
Dinkic pointed out that, similar to the reward given to the water polo players worth €200,000 for winning the gold metal at the World Championships in Montreal, all European and World championships’ winners will also be rewarded. He added that rewards worth €50,000 will also be given to the winners in younger categories, while the corresponding ministries will propose the rewarding of individual achievements on the international level.
Head of the Serbian Sports Directorate Aleksandar Sostar said that the Serbian government’s anticipated support is a good example of how sport is being taken care of in this country.
Sostar said that the sports centre reconstruction is of great social importance and added that he is certain that the continental championship in Belgrade will be organised at the highest level and under excellent conditions.